Tuesday, February 21, 2012

We are the worst parents ever!

At least that's what Jameson thinks right now.

He is totally devastated that we won't allow him to download GTA 3, or better known as

Grand Theft Auto III
 (the 10th anniversary edition, no less)


Photo from HERE

Here is the description from the iPad app:

"The critically acclaimed blockbuster Grand Theft Auto III comes to mobile devices, bringing to life the dark and seedy underworld of Liberty City.  With a massive and diverse open world, a wild cast of characters from every walk of life and the freedom to explore at will, Grand Theft Auto III puts the dark, intriguing and ruthless world of crime at your fingertips."

This mastery of pure video excitement is rated 17+ for the following reasons:

Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug use or references
Infrequent/Mild simulated gambling
Frequent/Intense realistic violence
Frequent/Intense profanity or crude humor
Frequent/Intense mature/suggestive themes
Frequent/Intense cartoon or fantasy violence
Frequent/Intense sexual content or nudity

Yeah, that's exactly the type of game I want my NINE YEAR OLD to be playing!

Over my dead body!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a typical helicopter parent who tries to shield their child from all things worldly, but come on folks.  Does a 9 year-old really need to know about drug busts and prostitution?

He just doesn't understand why a lot of his friends (who are also 8 and 9) already have this game and he can't get it, too.  He also doesn't understand why he can't have a Facebook page when a lot of his friends do too.

It's because you are NINE YEARS OLD, son!  There are reasons why you shouldn't purchase this game until you are 17 and there are reasons why you shouldn't have a Facebook page until you are 13!  If you have to LIE to download a game or app, then it is not right!

It took everything I could do not to say the old saying "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you jump, too?"

I spent a lot of time talking to him about it last night, while he cried his eyes out.  I told him that I know he doesn't like me (or his daddy) right now, but as his parents, our job is to protect and guide him though this crazy life.  I then told him that I didn't know why his friends had it, but more than likely, their parents didn't truly know what they were downloading at the time.  We also talked about what God would think about this kind of game.  I'm pretty sure God doesn't think this is an awesome game, either.

By the time our conversation ended, he was attempting to dry his tears, but I'm still pretty sure he thinks we are the worst parents ever.

**high five**
blog comments powered by Disqus