Yesterday, I posted about our trials and tribulations of installing our microwave surround.
Normally, that would be enough home improvement DRAMA to last me for a while, but I guess the adrenaline kicked in, and I just had the urge to do some more things today.
While cruising through some blogs last week, I saw a post where someone put curtains on either side of her french doors.
I really had never thought about doing that, but her end-result was GORGEOUS!
The wheels in my brain started turning....
Could I do that with my single french doors?
So, during a leisurely stroll through the clearance isle at Wal-Mart last week, I found some BEAUTIFUL red taffeta curtains.
I snatched them up, and bought a couple of small cafe rods to hang them with.
I rushed home to test them out, only to realize the rods I bought were too short.
Nothing like the wrong sized hardware to bring a project to a screeching halt.
I left the opened panel lying in the living room to try to get a feel for how it would look in the room. As I was walking by it, I had a realization...
Each pack only contained ONE panel.....GRRRRRRR, I would have to try to find TWO more panels!
I felt like such an IDIOT!
I knew the original store I went to didn't have any more. Those two panels were the only two I could find.
So, this morning after the kiddos were in school, I headed to another Wal-Mart to see if I could find two more panels and to return the cafe rods.
To my relief, they did have two more panels, however, they WEREN'T on sale.
I went ahead and bought them anyway...
I also decided to beef up the rod just a little bit, which of course, cost more, too....
I'm such a sucker!
After a couple of quick stops (which I will blog about later), I rushed home to see if the new rods and panels would work.
Marty normally does all of the "making holes in the walls", but I was just too excited to wait....
I decided to do it myself!
I'm not that great with a tape measure and a level (I just don't have the patience for it), so I came up with my own way to get the spacing even and accurate....
I used a DVD box!
It worked like a CHARM!
The first door took me about an hour to complete, but the second door literally only took me about 10 minutes to complete!
Here is my before:
I am so tickled how these came out! When I walk around the corner from the kitchen and see the curtains, I literally get a little flutter in my tummy!
I was so nervous that the rods would be uneven and un-level, but they turned out almost perfect!
I am a few curtain rings too short, but they will be fine hanging there until I can find some more similar one's.
We've already tried going in and out of the doors and the curtains move out of the way easily and cause zero problems with the function of the doors.
They also provide the unexpected benefits of privacy and room darkening (which is great for watching movies!) with just a tug of the curtains.
It's too bad I have to work for the next two days....there's no telling what I could accomplish around here with a little more time....