Sunday, April 18, 2010

What is up with my Craig's List?


Through various blogs and design boards, I have witnessed many people finding fantastic things (specifically furniture) on Craig's List.  From $150.00 pristine solid mahogany antique china cabinets, to $50.00 "never been used" leather couches that the person just wants to get rid of because they are redecorating.

Treasures upon treasures to be found, just ready for the taking.

How come I can NEVER find anything like that?

I swear, my area must be a furniture waste-land or something.

The furniture is either really expensive JUNK, or something that is just not worth anything at all.

One time, I literally found an ALUMINUM FOLDING CHAIR listed under "furniture" for $20.00!

Here are some of my recent finds....

Listed as:  COMPUTER DESK-$200.00


Ummmmmm, yeah, I'm gonna pay $200.00 for THAT....I wonder if that includes all the JUNK on the shelves?
---------------------------------------------------------

Listed as:  FIBERGLASS DONNA KARIN CONTAINERS-$300.00



I think that these should be listed under the category "HUH?" or "What in the heck do you use those for?"

(Oh, and that's how the title was spelled on the listing.)

------------------------------------------------------------

 Listed as: CHASE LOUNGE CHAIR.  GREAT CONDITION! $200.00



Yeah, Hello?  The 80's called and wanted their chair back.

-------------------------------------------------------

Listed as:  GLASS AND METAL ENTERTAINMEVER NT STAND BOUGHT AT IKEA 6 MONS AGO FOR $300.00  YOURS TODAY FOR $100.00




First, does that include the dust? 

Second, what is an "ENTERTAINMEVER NT STAND"?

And third, $300.00?  At Ikea?  REALLY?  Dude, you got ripped off!

------------------------------------------------------

Looking for a couch?  I've got just what your looking for!

Listed as:  LEATHER COUCH, OTTOMAN, AND CHAIR AND A HALF-$900.00





OK, I will admit the couch is not bad, but what small family has been living in that "chair and a half for the past 5 years?"

For $900.00?  NO THANK YOU!

---------------------------------------------------------

Don't have $900.00?  How about this?

Listed as: SLEEPER SOFA-$50.00



OK, I'll admit, not a bad price....but seriously, I can smell that thing through my computer!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Listed as:  LEATHER 3 SEAT SOFA-$200.00



OK, what's up with all the 80's stuff?  Crocket and Tubbs called, they want their sofa back.

-------------------------------------------------------

Need more than just a sofa?  How about an entire assortment of accessories?

Listed as: TAKE ALL OF IT FOR $200.00!








OK, so when they say "TAKE ALL OF IT", does that mean the broken drawer, dirty socks, hangers, used pet pads, bottle of cleaning stuff....I mean ALL of it?

What a bargain!

---------------------------------------------------------

Last, but not least, for the people who are looking for MORE!

Listed as: LIVING ROOM SET - $75.00







OK, for those of you who DON'T work in a hospital or who have never been in a hospital or even visited a hospital, I'm going to give you a little help with this one.....

THIS IS HOSPITAL ROOM FURNITURE!  

The description even says "The two chairs fold out into single beds!"

You want to know WHY they fold out into single beds?  

They are HOSPITAL SLEEP BEDS!

And seriously, I used to work in a hospital that had furniture EXACTLY like this....it's NOT comfortable....not even one teeny-tiny bit!

-------------------------------------------------

So, I have made a decision....

I'm moving to where people have much better taste in furniture!

9 comments:

  1. Your post makes me laugh! Really, who would buy any of that???? I gave away a cherry bedroom suite (queen sleigh bed + huge dresser) b/c it had some scratches on it. It was WAY nicer than any of that and I gave it away for FREE! Yeesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, I love this post, makes me want to run over to craigs list and see what kind of treasures I can find! Scott and I did find lighting for the range new for $60 a piece we got them for $10 each, and we needed 15 thats a good savings! Thanks for making me laugh! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so needed to laugh today and you did it BIG for me! You are so fun.

    Why on earth do peoeple think that their tacky 80's furnitue is suddenly 20+ years later woth what they paid for it in the beginning? Too odd and too funny.

    --Mari

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found some fantastic thing in this blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, you totally 'inspired' me to hunt through my Craigslist postings for furniture. I think we are in agreement about what's available out there. Either very expensive or people are emotionally attached to their junk! I especially loved this one and thought you would too.

    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/fuo/1699082257.html

    I get the shabby part, but where's the chic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK Robin, that is just NASTY! LOL!! And they want a fortune for "NASTY" too, it seems! HYSTERICAL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL.. Robin, you crack me up!! i am going to be ready to hit the flea markets when i get there.. so we'll have to just meet up & go treasure hunting together!! sound good??

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Robin you are hilarious!!!!lmao...

    ReplyDelete
  9. that just cracked me up as i'm from alabama too and i agree.....what's up with our craig list furniture listings! i can't ever find anything either. need a laugh and you supplied a big one! thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! It really means a lot to me!!
{{HUGS}}