Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mama's Mumblings

Here it is, another day, and I can't put a concise post together to save my life!  So, I thought it would be a good time to break out another edition of Mama's Mumblings.

**********************

Hubby had to work late tonight, so Jameson and I ran some errands after he got out of school.  Marty was still working when we were done, so I asked Jameson what he wanted to eat.  I told him since it was just the two of us, he could have whatever he wanted.  Well, he chose BBQ ribs. (Just what every 8 y.o. chooses, right?).  Well, our favorite local spot just went out of business (we obviously didn't eat there enough), so we went to the nearest BBQ joint (that we just so happened to have a leftover Christmas gift card to) to try to find some ribs.  Well, once Jameson saw the menu, he decided he wanted a cheeseburger instead.  

A CHEESEBURGER?

We could have eaten somewhere better else if I had known you wanted a CHEESEBURGER!  Anyway, we were already there, so we ordered a cheeseburger for him and a super-deluxe BBQ platter for myself, so I could take the majority of it home for Marty.  We wait for a while and our food finally comes.  

The first thing we notice is Jameson's cheeseburger doesn't have any cheese on it.  You know, since you must have to specifically have to ask for cheese on your cheeseburger.  Then I notice that my super-deluxe BBQ plate has the world's tiniest chicken-half, that matched the world's tiniest sweet potato, two pieces of toast and a couple of slivers of some-sort of BBQ'd meat, 4 tiny ribs, and I think that another type of BBQ is missing off my plate, too. (I mean seriously, $12.99 for THAT?)  We try to get someone's attention and finally get our waitress while she is about to seat a huge family of about 20.  I tell her to just get them situated and then come back to me.....

BIG MISTAKE.

About 10 minutes later, we are still waiting for her to come back, and Jameson has now decided he is starving to death.  He eyes my ribs and decides he wants to just try one. He gobbles it up.  Our waitress finally comes back and we tell her she forgot the cheese.  She apologizes and goes back to the kitchen.  When she returns, she has a cold Kraft single-looking square of cheese on a plate.  Well, it may not have been so bad if we had gotten the cheese when the burger was still HOT, but now it was just a cold cheese lying on a cold hamburger patty.  Jameson took one bite and decided he hated it and quickly looked to my plate to see what he wanted. Of course he wanted the rest of my ribs...which would be two of the three I had left from when he ate the other one earlier.

Weren't ribs the reason we went here to start with?

It really didn't matter at that point, anyway....I had completely lost my sense of taste* around the time our drinks were served.  We decided we had enough and tried to get our waitresses attention again so we could get a to-go container.  We wait another ten minutes or so, and she finally stops by the table and we tell her what we need.  Another waitress brings out the tiniest container in the world (that apparently matched the world's tiniest chicken and sweet potato) and walked off.  Half of our food fit in the container, and I was contemplating how many napkins it would take to wrap the cold burger with colder cheese in,  when our original waitress walks by and sees my struggle and offers a second tiny to-go container.  We get everything tightly packed away and start to leave, and then realize we don't have the check.

Well, you would think if you just brought us TO-GO containers, we would be contemplating GOING soon?

We then have to wait another ten minutes before we finally get our check.

We get to check-out and I look around, and there are SIX waiters just standing there talking (I know there were six because I counted!)

Why couldn't THIS place gone out of business instead of our good place?  At least we know not to go back there again!

 The world's tiniest chicken half and sweet potato.

The world's tiniest chicken half on a standard piece of Texas toast.

*************************

I must have the weirdest immune system around.  Sunday night I started coughing around bedtime.  I didn't feel bad or have any other symptoms, just a nagging cough. It continued throughout Monday, and by Tuesday, I was eating cough drops like they were going out of style.  Still, no runny/stuffy nose, no headache, no sinus pressure,  no sore throat....nothing but a cough.

One of those coughs so bad that you feel like you are going to pass out due to lack of oxygen during a coughing fit.

Well, today my cough turned into a cough with a runny/stuffy nose, headache, sinus pressure, and *loss of taste.

I must be the only person in the world who's cold runs UP from their chest, into their head.

**************************

Oh, and according to Paula Deen, today is National Chocolate Day....figures I would loose my sense of taste on one of the best culinary days of the year!


*************************

Our local Dollar General has this fantastic promotion going, where if you spend $25.00, you get a $5.00 off a $25.00 purchase the next week.  I ran by there on our way home from our incredible BBQ experience, with my $5 coupon in hand.  I needed some Coke Zeros, and obviously some cold/sinus medicine for my new found symptoms, and a few other things.  When she rung everything up, I was shy a few dollars to get to use my coupon, so she encouraged me to grab something else.  Well, there was a line of people standing behind me, so I told Jameson to run and grab something he had been looking at.  I thought it would be around $5 or $10, so I put it on the counter.  

Well surprise, surprise....it was $20 stinkin' dollars!  I turned around and looked at the line behind me, and the next person in line actually made a face at me!

A MEAN FACE!

So, I paid for the item.

My $5 coupon only ended up costing me $15.00 extra dollars!

Dave Ramsey would be so proud.

**************************

It's race weekend at Talladega.  I've become so far out of the Na$car loop, I didn't even remember.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out why there was so much traffic in town today, and then I saw a car hauler and remembered.  It's really bad because my kids are even out of school tomorrow and Monday because of the race.

I'm telling ya, all this coughing has led to lack of oxygen to my brain.

***************************

Two months ago, my work schedule changed and I wasn't too pleased.  Initially, this job employed two full-time RN's, but now I now work alone on the two busiest days of the week (statistically) and I am often overwhelmed and frustrated.  The other nurses are slammed with their own duties, so the full responsibility of calling back all 3000 150 patients per day falls squarely on my shoulders.  I try my very best to have a good attitude and go above and beyond my duty for my patients and my co-workers.  Monday of this week came and went, and was very busy, but not much "drama", which can make a long day even longer.  So Tuesday when I came in, I had a smile on my face, a song in my heart, and a kick in my step.  I was determined it was going to be a great day.  Well, I wasn't there more than an hour when something happened that made all that good attitude come crashing down, and I ended up being the grouchiest person on the planet for the rest of the day.....well, actually, I'm still really grouchy about it.  I can't really talk about it here for now, but I think there will have to be some changes soon.  I'm giving it all up to God and will let HIM decide what I need to do and where I need to be.

*********************************

Well, I guess I had more to talk about than I thought.  Sorry I have mumbled so much tonight!

I hope you all have a most wonderful and fantastic rest of the week!


blog comments powered by Disqus