Friday, July 22, 2011

The best marriage advice I've ever received

Happy Friday Y'all!

Normally I don't do a post on Fridays, but I noticed that the theme of Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life this week is Marriage Advice.  So, I thought I would share the best advice I ever received.

As some of you know, I got married really young.

I was 18.

I didn't have to get married, I wanted to get married and start the rest of my life with the man I love.  My parents thought I was crazy, but never really tried to talk me out of it.  The only thing my mom really said about the whole thing was "You DO realize if you get married, it's FOREVER, right?"

Forever when you are 18 seems like an eternity, but I knew I was ready.

On August 6, 1988, I married the love of my life.



Ahhhhh, so young, so immature, so naive....so skinny!

We started our lives together, me an 18 y.o. and my new husband, who was 21 y.o.  Things are supposed to be unicorns and rainbows 100% of the time, right?

Wrong!

As a young, immature, SPOILED bride, I thought that once we were married, Marty should spend every second of every day with me.  We would be together all the time, just basking in the glow of our love.

AKKKK!

Well, just like he did before we got married, Marty had hobbies, and occasionally he actually wanted to partake of those hobbies.

WHAT?

How DARE he want to go hunting or fishing when I wanted him to be with me?

I can tell you, those hobbies were the cause of more than one fight in our house.

One day, I was complaining to my mother about it and she looked at me and said:

"Robin, if the WORST thing he's going to do to you is go fishing, just leave him alone and let him fish!"

You know, she was right!  He worked hard, he provided for us, he treated me like a queen, and never even looked at another girl.  What was I complaining about?

So, from that moment, I've tried to never complain again.

Don't get me wrong, when the grass is knee high and he gets out the golf clubs, I may say a thing or two, but for the most part, I'm glad he goes out and enjoys himself.  Actually, I try to encourage him to go out MORE these days....lol!

Our marriage is in no way perfect, but I'm glad that I still get to spend FOREVER with him!


blog comments powered by Disqus