Saturday, June 9, 2012

20 years ago


20 years ago today, I was 24 weeks pregnant with triplets, on bedrest, and spending the day with my husband.  I remember we watched Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (the one with Kevin Costner).  I don't remember much about the movie, only the soundtrack sung by Bryan Adams, "(Everything I do) I Do It for You. "

From Wikipedia

It was a very enjoyable day, if I remember correctly.  We were scared to death about the future, but we were also so excited to finally be parents in the next few months.  Parents to triplets.

We had no idea it would be our last day of being carefree, selfish, naive, and having our whole hearts intact.

The next day I went to my routine OB appointment, and was found to already be 3-4 cm dilated and was rushed to Birmingham where I would eventually deliver 8 days later...15 weeks early.

Bryant

Chelsea

Courtney

And here is where our nightmare began.  The months of the NICU roller coaster ride, two of my precious babies getting their angel wings, and our Chelsea-Belle struggling for years to make it through every second of every day.

Our hearts were shattered into a million pieces.

The things we saw, the things we learned, the things we had to live through, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.  I look back to those days and wonder how in the world did we survive?

So many things have happened over the past 20 years.  Chelsea defied all odds, and has turned into a beautiful, happy, sweet young lady.  We were also blessed with Jameson, who has been more joy then we could ever imagine.  Marty and I have slowly tried to put the pieces of our hearts back together, but they will never be whole again....

Like they were that day, 20 years ago.

blog comments powered by Disqus