Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Somebody has been BUSY!

The Friday before New Year's Day was a super-busy day around here.  I'm normally not a very superstitious person, but New Year's Day has always been a different story for me.  I've always heard the sayings "Whatever you are doing on the first day of the year, will be what you do for the entire year" and  "Don't do any washing on New Year's Day because you will wash someone you love right out of your life."  I don't want to be cleaning every day of this year and I definitely don't want to wash someone I love out of my life, so on December 31st, it's a cleaning frenzy up in this place!

Along with getting the kitchen spotless, and washing/drying/folding/hanging every stitch of clothes in this house, including the bed clothes,  I worked on getting all of the Christmas stuff taken down and organized.  We managed to get every single thing packaged into 5 identical Rubbermaid containers.  So, next year, just those containers come down from the attic and we should have everything we need!  (Except for all of the outside stuff that may or may not get put out from year to year...ahem)  Oh, and of course that doesn't count our giant, super heavy, pain in the bootie pre-lit, but only partially pre-lit now, Christmas tree.  That is relegated to a corner of our garage because it is just too big and heavy to even attempt to get it into the attic.

I swear, if we ever build another house, I'm having a "Christmas tree room".  I'll put my tree on wheels.  I'll wheel it out on Thanksgiving, and roll it back in on December 31st.  It will be already decorated, so all we have to do is plug it in.  Sounds like a good plan, right?


A couple weeks ago, I showed you our newly-crowded garage....full of 20 year-old stuff from our old house.  

It was so full of junk, we couldn't even get the car in.  So frustrating, to say the least!

Hubby just couldn't take it any more, so while I was busy cleaning every nook and cranny of the inside of the house, he was busy going through all the stuff on the outside of the house....more specifically, the garage.

After spending around twelve hours out there, literally making 42 trips up our attic steps, and having the hugest bonfire in history, this is what my garage looks like today....

We still have a ton of stuff to go through, but it's 1000% better than it was two weeks ago!  And hey, my car can now fit back into it's home!

YAYYYYY, no icy windshields for me!

He threw away a bunch of stuff before I was able to take pictures, but he did manage to get a few things on camera.

I'll try to post some of the stuff in future posts.  Today I am going to enjoy my last day off with the kids and go see a movie!

I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed week!!
blog comments powered by Disqus