Saturday, May 18, 2013

Water, water Everywhere, but not a drop to drink!

When  we went to bed Friday night, we had no clue what we would wake up to Saturday morning. We knew rain with a chance of storms were predicted overnight, we just didn't realize HOW MUCH rain we would eventually get.  

Before bed, we had lightning like I've never seen before, other than the night of the April 27th, 2011 tornadoes. Flashes going off every few seconds, lasting for hours. It was truly an incredible sight!  It looked like things had calmed down, but within an hour of going to bed, strong (and LOUD) thunderstorms came through our area. We also noticed how heavy the rain seemed to be. Don't get me wrong, I love our deck, but I had NO IDEA how loud the rain hitting that deck would be in our bedroom. HAHA! (The head of our bed is against the outside wall where the deck is.)  It rained, and rained, and RAINED all night long!

When an exceptionally loud thunderstorm woke us up early this morning, I checked Facebook to see if there was anything going on. I saw that my mom had posted that they had already received at least 7 1/2" and her boat house was half-way under water.  I immediately called to make sure they were OK. She assured me they were fine and the house was fine, but they probably wouldn't be able to leave the house until things calmed down and the water receded. I then saw where people were saying many roads in our town were flooded.

Then, the pictures started rolling in:

Hwy 21 Munford. The owner of the car told police he thought he could make it if he tried to
 drive through the water fast enough.  Photo by Marty.

Jenifer Road in Munford. Photo by Marty

Cheaha Road in Munford. Photo by Beth Collett

Munford. Photo by Beth Collett

Munford. There was supposed to be a rodeo here today! Photo by Beth Collett

Munford. Photo by Beth Collett

Munford. Photo by Beth Collett

Driveway off Hwy 21 in Munford. Photo by Justin/Jodie Lackey

Driveway to Hwy 21. Photo by Stacy Sirmon

Cheaha Road in Munford. Photo by Beth Collett

Side of Hwy 21. The "brush" is dried corn stalks that floated across
the hwy and got lodged in the fence.  Photo by Marty


Curry Station Road, Munford. Photo by @cila10860

Hwy 21 Munford. Photo by Justin/Jodie Lackey

The scariest thing I saw this morning was this video taken by Jessica Watts of Munford.  This is on Cheaha Road in Munford, at the foot of Cheaha Mountain. My mother has to drive this road every day to get to her house.


Thankfully, so far everyone we know is safe, but there are a lot of people who have a lot of damage to clean up! We definitely need to remember this during the summer when we are complaining because we have no rain!

I hope you all have a calm, uneventful weekend!

-----------------------------------------

Thanks to those of you who let me use your photos. And for those I don't personally know, I will remove the photo/video if you want me to!
blog comments powered by Disqus