Saturday, September 25, 2010

Tonight's the Night!


Tonight I get to mark one HUGE thing off my "bucket list"!

I've always wanted to see a Broadway musical for as long as I can remember....but I knew the likelihood that would actually happen was slim-to-none considering I don't like to fly, I don't like crowds, and I don't like strange places.

Then I learned about the Traveling Broadway show....

Hmmmm, I wonder what the likelihood that an actual Broadway musical would come to my comfort-zone of  Munford, Alabama?  Well that would be NONE considering there isn't anywhere to perform a play, unless you count the old high school gym.  HAHA  But seriously, I wondered if the traveling shows would come to the South?

Two years ago, MTV did something that I've never seen done before.  They actually showed the entire Broadway musical of Legally Blonde on television.  It was SO COOL!  I watched every second of it and just knew I had to see it in person!  The broadcast of the show, led into their new reality show "Legally Blonde, the Search for Elle Woods"

I loved that show and wouldn't miss an episode.  It was so neat to see what actually goes on in the production of a Broadway Musical.  I was thrilled that my favorite actress from the beginning, Bailey Hanks, WON! 



Unfortunately, Legally Blonde's Broadway run didn't last much longer (not the fault of Bailey, I'm sure), but the traveling tour continued across the country.  I wouldn't be able to see it on Broadway, but maybe I could see it somewhere else!

Last year, I was thrilled to find out that Legally Blonde was coming to the FOX Theater in Atlanta!  Unfortunately, due to a miscommunication, I didn't get to go.  I was crushed!  I thought I had just lost my last chance to see Legally Blonde in person.

Well, fast forward to a couple weeks ago.  I had my television tuned to a channel that I normally don't watch.  Then, I heard the chorus "Oh My God, Oh My God You Guys!"

HUH?  That sounds like Legally Blonde!

I ran to the television, and sure enough, there it was....LEGALLY BLONDE!

Better yet, it was playing in BIRMINGHAM in a couple of weeks!

I FREAKED OUT!  I immediately ran to the computer, whipped out my debit card and ordered two tickets!  I didn't know who was going with me, but dagum-it, I was going!  Not only is it the one musical I've wanted to see, they are performing in Birmingham, which is totally in my comfort zone!

It can't get much better than that!

Oh yeah, well I guess it can.  My wonderful and fantastic hubby actually wanted to go with me...AND....this has turned into an entire weekend for just the two of us!  We are leaving in just a bit, spending the day in Birmingham, may go to the Birmingham Museum of Art (it's free today with ticket from the Smithsonian!), eat fantastic food, and then spend the night at the Tutwiler Hotel.  I can't wait!  This will be the first time we've been alone (other than hubby's hand surgeries) in about 3 years!

Jameson isn't real happy with us right now ("Mommy, you get to see a play AND go to the museum without me?  That's not fair!"), but he will get over it!

So, to get you all in the mood for Legally Blonde, I thought I would share one of my favorite scenes from MTV's broadcast!




ENJOY!

blog comments powered by Disqus