Monday, July 2, 2012

Foyer decorating

I don't know what's gotten into me lately, but I've been determined to get some decorating done around this house.  4 1/2 years with blank walls has really been getting on my nerves.  However, there have been a few reasons why several of my walls aren't decorated:
  1. Money.  This is the BIGGEST reason things don't get done around here.  Home ownership is expensive.  I don't know about you, but I would much rather stay in my home, enjoying my air conditioning, looking at my blank walls, than having all the things to go on my walls, but having no house to put them in.  I would love to just go out and buy new furniture and tons of things to decorate with, but we just can't afford to do that.  I'm OK with that, too!  It's going to take time, but it will eventually be semi-done. (Because really, are you ever actually finished decorating?)
  2. I'm a slacker.  I may actually have all the things to finish a project, I just don't take the time or make the effort to finish it.  I seriously envy all the people out there who can just "get it done" in a matter of hours.  My brain isn't wired that way.  Things will {probably} get finished, but on a much slower timeline.
  3. I'm not great with coming up with ideas on my own.  Whenever somebody says something about a craft or something I've made, I always tell them "I just copy really, really well."  And that's the truth.  Once I see something I love, I know that's what I want to do, and I do it.  But I usually don't come up with it on my own.  For instance, I knew I wanted a cute and colorful wreath for my front door, but didn't know what kind of wreath I wanted.  Then I saw this photo:

I KNEW I had to either buy or make this wreath!  I recognized the ribbon was from Hobby Lobby, so I decided to try making it on my own:


I did manage to make it, and every single dime she charges is TOTALLY worth it!  It took a ton more ribbon than I expected, and it took a lot of time to finish it, but I did it and I LOVE it!

So that's a little (OK, a LOT) view of how things work around here.

Friday, I showed y'all the monogrammed ceiling tile I made:


I saw it on Pinterest, and two hours later, it was done and on the wall.  I just knew I wanted it, and happened to have all the materials available to finish it.

My next weekend project hasn't been completed as quickly.

Several months ago, I saw this picture and literally flipped out:

From Here
The home in this blog, Down to Earth Style, has INCREDIBLE decor.  I seriously love every, single room!

My foyer and my door are different than her's, but I still loved the look and wanted to try to "copy" it.  I've spent months looking for similar hangers at affordable prices.  I'm sure her's are antiques, but I had to settle for what I could find around here.  After a lot of trial and error, here's what I came up with:



The door will be painted black once it's not a bajillion degrees outside.  I want to try my hand at the board and batton, but just don't want to start yet another time consuming project until other things are finished.  I also want to add something above the door, but haven't found the perfect thing, yet.  It's not perfect, or exact, but I really do love it!

I have many other projects I'm dying to finish (like the kitchen), so hopefully while I'm staying inside during this heat, I will be able to get some of it done!

I hope you all have a wonderful, COOL Fourth of July week!
blog comments powered by Disqus